Trade Language/Jargon

Bricklaying Trade/Language Jargon

9 views 06/04/2018 20/12/2018 Help 0

Bricklaying Trade Language Jargon


Air brick: A perforated brick that is built into a wall to increase ventilation.

Bat: A cut brick.

Brickie: Trade nickname for a bricklayer.

Brick saw: A power tool used for cutting concrete, bricks and other materials. More often referred to as a grinder by tradespeople.

Capstone: A finishing stone that forms the top of a column or wall.

Coping: A flat stone used as a cap on walls or around the perimeter of patios, pools and ponds etc.

Course: A single layer of bricks.

Header: The end face of a brick.

Lintel: A horizontal beam supporting a wall above a door or window.Mortar: Material used to bond bricks, made up of cement or lime, an aggregate such as sand, and water.

Pointing: Filling the joints of brickwork or masonry with mortar.

Quoin: Both the corner of a wall, and the particular blocks used to make up the corner, sometimes only there for decorative purposes.

Stretcher: The long face of a brick.

Stretcher bond: This simplest and most common form of bricklaying, where each course overlaps the one below with a single brick atop two others.


PLEASE NOTE: All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.


Get your job started today

Post your job now to get quick responses from your local helpers

Post a Job


Was this helpful?