Trade Language/Jargon

Conservatories Trade/Language Jargon

10 views 07/04/2018 20/12/2018 Help 0

Abutment: The side of a conservatory that adjoins the existing house.

Argon: A noble gas used to fill the space between sheets of glass in some double glazed windows, chosen for its insulating properties.

Base wall: A low wall made up of a small number of brick courses at the bottom of a conservatory.

Crest: A decorative feature that can be used on a conservatory roof.

Edwardian conservatory: A square-shaped conservatory capped with an apex roof.

Full-fill cavity: A wall cavity that has been completely filled with insulation.

Joist: A horizontal beam, made of metal or wood, which can support a ceiling, wall or floor.

Lean-to-conservatory: A type of conservatory that attaches to a house, typically rectangular with a slanted roof.

Lintel: A horizontal beam supporting a wall above a door or window.

Party wall: A boundary between two properties over which both sides has legal rights.

PVCu: Previously known as uPVC – Polyvinyl Chloride (Unplasticised); a material that is used to make some conservatories, doors and windows. Alternatives are hardwood or aluminium.

RSJ: Rolled steel joist; used as a structural support across wide openings. Often referred to as ‘steels’. Can be required for a wide variety of uses including foundations, and in roof structures. The size and shape is usually specified by a structural engineer.

Sleeper wall: A low wall that supports ground floor joists.

Victorian conservatory: A conservatory with more than four sides and an apex roof, often topped with a crest.


PLEASE NOTE: All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.


Get your job started today

Post your job now to get quick responses from your local helpers

Post a Job


Was this helpful?