Building Regulations

How do I get Building Regulations approval?

68 views 04/11/2017 20/12/2018 Help 4

If you’re undertaking any building or alteration work within your home, you should check whether it needs to be signed off as being compliant with Building Regulations.

On this page of the Planning Portal website – co-produced by the Department for Communities and Local Government – you’ll find Building Regulations guidance for many common building projects.

Sign-off by Building Control

Some projects that need to comply with Building Regulations must be signed off by Building Control officers. These include:

  • Extensions
  • Loft conversions
  • Garage conversions
  • Underpinning
  • Cavity wall insulation

If you use a local authority Building Control office, there are three types of application:

  • Full plans where drawings and other related information are submitted and a formal decision is given.
  • Building notice where minimal information is submitted and no formal decision is given. Work is inspected while in progress and approved on completion.
  • Regularisation – where retrospective approval is sought for work carried out without Building Regulations approval.

Once work is underway, the Building Control Service will need to make routine site inspections at various stages. Notice should be given to allow Building Control adequate time to inspect the work.

If suitable notice isn’t given, Building Control may ask for work to be opened up for inspection. Talk to your local Building Control Service for more information about the inspection process.

If you use an Approved Inspector from the private sector, you should jointly notify your local authority that an Approved Inspector is carrying out the building control function.

Find out more about how to apply to Building Control.

Sign-off by a Competent Person

How do I get Building Regulations approval

There is also a group of projects that need to comply with Building Regulations, but can be self-certified and signed off by the installer themself – Find out more information here.

Competent Person Schemes were introduced by the Irish government to allow individuals and businesses to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations.

Tradesmen/helpers who are registered with a Competent Person Scheme are vetted to ensure they are qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with the Building Regulations.

Examples of projects that fall into this category include:

  • Installation of a new or replacement heating system or boiler
  • Installation of a new or replacement oil tank
  • Installation of a bathroom if new plumbing is installed or existing plumbing is altered
  • Installation of a fixed air conditioning system
  • Installation of a new or replacement fuse box (or consumer unit) or any new electrical circuit connected to the fuse box
  • Alterations to electrical installations around a bath or shower
  • Replacement of window and door units
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs

Registered tradesmen will notify Building Control on your behalf and issue you with a certificate of completion.

If you don’t use a registered tradesman/helper, then you will have to notify Building Control and pay a fee to have the work inspected.



Get your job started today

Post your job now to get quick responses from your local helpers

Post a Job


Was this helpful?