Carbon Monoxide: An Invisible Killer

What are the signs of carbon monoxide leakage?

19 views 06/04/2018 20/12/2018 Helpers.ie Help 1

If your boiler, fire or any other appliance is burning fuel with a yellow or orange irregular flame, rather than a crisp blue/purple one, then you should call in a qualified engineer immediately. Pilot lights regularly going out, dark marks around appliances and increased condensation are also warning signs.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, nausea, headaches, dry cough or a sore throat. If you think you spot signs of carbon monoxide then open doors and windows and leave the room to get fresh air.

Turn off any suspect appliances until they can be checked. Call a doctor if you or others feel ill, or phone 999 if you feel it is an emergency.

Prevention is better than cure

If you can, then do get your appliances checked on an annual basis. The cold weather coming should warn you to book a registered gas installer engineer to give your boiler the once-over. It is always better to be safe than sorry and a simple check of appliances and flues is a worthwhile investment.

Many people see gas safety checks as something that are for students or those living in rented accommodation, but faulty appliances and carbon monoxide poisoning don’t discriminate along the lines of how you pay for the place you live in.

Buy at least one carbon monoxide alarm or indicator for your home. They usually cost less than 20. Some people assume that their smoke detector will also detect carbon monoxide, but this is not the case for most smoke alarms.

If you smell gas call Gas Network Ireland 24 hour emergency line immediately on 1850 20 50 50.

 

==============================

Get your job started today

Post your job now to get quick responses from your local helpers

Post a Job

==============================

Was this helpful?


>