Permitted Development: An Alternative to Planning

What are your permitted development rights?

8 views 06/04/2018 20/12/2018 Help 2

Permitted Development rights only apply to private houses. Flats are excluded, as are listed buildings. Properties in specially designated areas such as Conservation Areas or green belt are also subject to further restrictions.

You can use PD rights as often as you like but your allowances for extension work can be used only once. If you are buying a property, it is your responsibility to find out what PD rights have been used, modified or withdrawn.

While it should be possible in most cases to determine if your project qualifies as Permitted Development, there will be instances where further clarification is needed. Rather than submit a planning application, you may apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC). This is a formal application for your local authority to decide if a project requires planning consent or not.

Your local authority planning department may have removed some of your permitted development rights. This means that you will need to submit a planning application. Before any work begins, you should contact your local county office and discuss your project.

Visit the Planning Portal for more information about Permitted Development and planning permission.

Full list of county councils information



Get your job started today

Post your job now to get quick responses from your local helpers

Post a Job


Was this helpful?