Trade Language/Jargon

Windows Trade Language/Jargon

13 views 09/04/2018 30/04/2018 Help 1

Argon: A noble gas used to fill the space between sheets of glass in some double glazed windows, chosen for its insulating properties.

Bifold Door: A door system – made up of three or more glass panes – which fold back fully on themselves when opening.

Conservation Area: An area designated by the local authority to be of special historical or architectural significance, in which certain developments may be restricted.

Dormer: A type of framed window which projects vertically though a sloping roof.

Double Glazing: Window or door glazing constructed from two layers of glass, with a space in between to improve heat and sound insulation.

French Windows / Doors: A set of two outward-opening windows or doors.

Jamb: The vertical part of a door or window frame.

K-Glass: Short for Pilkington K Glass, a kind of glass used to reduce heat loss due to a special coating on the inside of the glass.

Sash: A type of window made of panels which are slid vertically. Also refers to the moving panel of the window.

Self-cleaning Glass: Glass which is designed to be resistant to dirt build up, using sunlight and rain water. Pilkington Activ and St Gobain Bio-clean are brand names for this type of glass.

Sill: The ledge at the bottom of a window.


PLEASE READ: All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.

Was this helpful?